Working in the UK as a Cardiac Physiologist

The UK has a significant need for healthcare professionals across a wide range of specialisations and areas of expertise. Cardiac physiology is an area where NHS jobs in the UK are available, both temporary and permanent, across the country. Jobs for skilled and qualified cardiac physiologists are in high demand from central London to the outer reaches of Scotland and Ireland.

If you are considering moving to the UK from Australia, New Zealand, or elsewhere globally, Globe Locums has a wide range of different cardiac physiology jobs available. With 100s of locum and permanent healthcare jobs in the UK on our platform, we are the best place to start to find a cardiac physiology position that suits you. Register today to find the right cardiac physiology jobs in the UK for you.

Register With Us

How to register to work in the UK

If you have plans to work in the UK from Australia, New Zealand, Europe or any other country, you'll now need to follow the new immigration processes put in place following the UK's exit from the EU. Whether you are planning to live in the UK permanently or you are seeking a temporary working holiday in the UK, you'll need to apply for a work permit ahead of time to do so. You'll also need to meet other required standards and qualifications to work as a cardiac physiologist in the UK. If you have plans to travel to the UK to work, you must have the equivalent qualifications and experience to be eligible to work. You should also take the time to decide which visa you would like to apply for to work in the UK, as some may require an offer of employment before you can live and work in the country. The exception is the Youth Mobility Scheme visa, which we've covered in more detail below.

Requirements for cardiac physiologists working in the UK

What are the requirements to work as a cardiac physiologist in the UK? To be eligible for employment, you'll need to have the following:


You will require a cardiac science degree, which is part of the Practitioner Training Programme or a healthcare science practitioner degree apprenticeship with a specialism in cardiac physiology. Alternatively, you may have a science degree and be a part of the NHS Scientist Training Programme.

Registration with HCPC

In addition to qualifications, you must register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) before you can accept a cardiac physiology job. The HCPC examines your specific case individually to determine whether you meet particular proficiency standards. Part of these checks also includes testing your proficiency in English, with a high level of proficiency required for successful registration.

What visas are available?

The visa you choose to work in the UK will depend entirely on your individual goals and plans. If you would like to live and work in the UK permanently and have a career in cardiac physiology, the visa you apply for would be different to what is acceptable for a temporary position in the UK or if you'd like to apply for healthcare jobs in the UK on a working holiday. We've covered some of the most common visa options below:

Can I work in the UK on a permanent visa?

If you want to move to the UK, you can do so under a skilled worker visa or a health and care worker visa. In each case, you will have to pay a specific application fee for your visa to be processed, and you will be required to have a job offer lined up before your visa is granted. Cardiac physiologists looking to relocate to the UK often visit on a holiday basis, allowing for applications and interviews to prepare for a permanent working visa. A permanent visa can also allow dependants and spouses to come into the country with you to live.

What temporary visas are available?

Temporary visas, also known as T5 visas, are the alternative for people moving to the UK on a non-permanent basis. There is a range of different temporary worker visas, but only a select few apply to healthcare. If you'd like to work temporarily, you need to be in a government-authorised exchange program for a fellowship or training, or you could use the Youth Mobility Scheme visa route.

What is the Youth Mobility Scheme Visa?

This two-year visa is the most common solution for young professionals looking to live and work in the UK temporarily. The YMS visa [] offers the opportunity to live and work in the UK for up to two years to replace the working holiday visa. It is worth noting that the countries eligible for the YMS visa are slightly more limited than they used to be. You do not need to have a job offer in place for this visa, and you must be between the age of 18-30 to be eligible. You will need to have at least £2,530 in savings for your application to be accepted, and you will be unable to take family members with you to the UK.

Life as a cardiac physiologist in the UK

What is life like as a cardiac physiologist in the UK? While your experience may depend on the job you choose or the area you work in, here is what you can expect when moving to the UK to practise as a cardiac physiologist:


If you plan to stay in the UK permanently, you may wish to make long-term arrangements for your accommodation, such as purchasing a home. Short-term rental may also be an option if you plan to work in a temporary position for a year or more within the UK without moving to other areas over time. Specific permanent jobs or contracted roles may offer accommodation as part of your contract, though this may be more common in short-term, temporary positions. There may be a few options available for those working as a locum in the UK. Certain positions may provide accommodation on-site or close by, while larger hospitals or clinics may be able to advise on temporary lodgings near your workplace. Speak with Globe Locums for details on roles that offer this. If you plan to work and travel across the UK during your time in the country, this may be the best option to find suitable accommodation without being tied into a longer-term rental contract.

Bank accounts

When you work within the UK, you will often be required to have a UK based or compatible bank account to pay your salary. Your choice of bank is down to your personal preference, though the easy setup and management of online banking services may be more suited to your requirements than a permanent bricks-and-mortar bank in the UK. If you plan to stay on a holiday visa, you may inquire about an international bank account. We discuss bank accounts and other things to look into in our Working Holiday Checklist.


Cardiac Physiologists have five recognised grades: Trainee Cardiac Physiologist, Cardiac Physiologist, Specialist Cardiac Physiologist, Highly Specialist Cardiac Physiologist and Consultant Cardiac Physiologist. Assistant/Associate Practitioners have two recognised grades: Assistant/Associate Practitioners and Senior Assistant/Associate Practitioners. The starting salary range for a cardiac physiologist in the NHS is £25,655; however, the average cardiac physiologist salary is £46,180, which is 32.7% above the national average advertised salary. (source: If you choose to work on a locum rate or as an hourly temporary worker, pay may vary depending on the employer you select and the urgency of your placement. For more important information about locum remuneration, get in touch with our specialist team today. Locum cardiac physiology positions can pay up to £60-70 per hour, depending on experience, specialism and location. Do you have plans for moving to the UK from Australia, Ireland, Canada or anywhere else in the world? Globe Locums is the ideal way to find healthcare jobs that suit your experience and qualifications. We can pair you with the perfect role. From temporary placements to long-term career moves, we can support you in finding work in the UK. Register today to discover hundreds of vacancies in your specialist field.

Register With Us

Useful Links

Beat The Backlog
Locums Urgently Needed!